Louisiana-Lafayette holds off Denver 55-49Jan 15, 2010 - 5:00 AM LAFAYETTE, La.(AP) -- Chris Gradnigo scored 18 points and Louisiana-Lafayette held Denver, the nation's second-ranked shooting squad, to a season-low 34.7 percent in a 55-49 win Thursday night.
The Ragin' Cajuns (6-10, 3-2 Sun Belt Conference) jumped out to a 30-10 lead and led 30-17 at halftime. The Pioneers, who came into the game shooting 53 percent, shot 36.4 percent from the field (8-for-22) in the first half and were 17-for-49 for the game.
Louisiana-Lafayette opened the second half with an 11-3 run to lead 41-20 with 14:01 left, but Denver whittled the lead to 47-43 with 2:22 left. The Ragin' Cajuns hit 8 of 10 free throws to seal the win.
Denver (12-6, 5-2), which snapped a two-game winning streak, was held below 40 percent for the second time this season.
Randell Daigle added 14 points for Louisiana-Lafayette.
Brian Stafford had 16 points to lead Denver.
- NCAA BB
UL LAFAYETTE 55 FINAL
Jan 14 9:59 PM
- NCAA BB
UL LAFAYETTE 30 HALFTIME
Jan 14 8:52 PM
- University of Denver hires Rodney Billups as coach Mar 14
- Denver fires coach Joe Scott after 9 seasons Mar 11
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- Rosga, Denver beat Omaha, advance to Summit League semis Mar 7
- Northern Iowa tops Denver on 30 shots Dec 10
- Panthers hit road to take on Pioneers Dec 10
- McDermott scores 30 to power Creighton past Louisiana Mar 21
- Cajuns and Bluejays duke it out in West Region action Mar 21
- Louisiana wins Sun Belt title over Georgia State Mar 16
- Georgia State and Louisiana meet for Sun Belt title Mar 16
- Louisville's offense erupts in rout of Louisiana Dec 7
- Seventh-ranked Cardinals continue run with Cajuns Dec 7