Western Kentucky beats Florida International 81-64Jan 17, 2010 - 3:35 AM BOWLING GREEN, Ky.(AP) -- Steffphon Pettigrew had 16 points and Cliff Dixon posted his first career double-double with 10 points and 13 rebounds as Western Kentucky defeated Florida International 81-64 on Saturday night.
After Florida International (6-15, 3-5 Sun Belt Conference) had a 15-6 run to cut the Western Kentucky lead to one, the Hilltoppers (11-5, 4-1) used a 30-2 run to lead 53-24.
The highlight of the run came in the closing seconds of the first half when Caden Dickerson stole an inbounds pass and hit a buzzer-beating basket for a 38-22 halftime score.
Jeremy Evans and A.J. Slaughter each had 13 points for Western Kentucky.
The Hilltoppers, who led by as many as 34 points early in the second half, finished 24-for-33 from the free throw line and the Golden Panthers were 6-for-14.
Marvin Roberts had 18 points off the bench for Florida International and Stephon Weaver had 13.
- No. 5 Louisville powers past FIU Dec 5
- Panthers seek upset of fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 5
- Smith powers Louisville to blowout of FIU Dec 22
- Cardinals fly south to take on Panthers Dec 21
- FIU tabs Evans as head coach Apr 16
- Western Kentucky wins back-to-back Sun Belt titles Mar 12
- Hilltoppers and Panthers duke it out for Sun Belt crown Mar 11
- Louisville blows past FIU Dec 20
- Panthers hope to claw their way past fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 19
- FIU tabs Richard Pitino as head coach Apr 16
- Isiah Thomas out as FIU hoops coach Apr 6
- Troy recovers to defeat Western Kentucky 54-48 Mar 8