Texas-Pan American defeats Chicago State, 63-42Jan 17, 2010 - 1:03 AM EDINBURG, Texas(AP) -- Matt Mierzycki's game-high 16 points helped lead Texas-Pan American over Chicago State 63-42 in Great West Conference play on Saturday.
Mierzycki came off the bench to go 5 for 7 from the field and 6 of 7 from the free-throw line. Jared Maree added 12 points and Aaron Urbanus had 11.
The Broncos (3-16, 1-0) were outrebounded by the Cougars (5-14, 0-2) 39-24. The Cougars grabbed 22 offensive rebounds but struggled shooting the ball making only 14 of 51 from the field (27.5 percent) and just 1 of 15 from beyond the arc (6.7 percent).
Despite the large margin in rebounding the Broncos were able to outscore the Cougars in the paint 26-12.
Christian Wall led Chicago State with 13 points. Carl Montgomery had 8 points and six rebounds, five of which were offensive boards.
Texas-Pan American led 26-21 at the half before going ahead by as many as 22 points in the second half.
- NCAA BB
CHICAGO ST 42
TX PAN AMERICAN 63 FINAL
Jan 16 7:28 PM
- NCAA BB
CHICAGO ST 21
TX PAN AMERICAN 26 HALFTIME
Jan 16 6:21 PM
- Chicago State pulls away from Trinity International, 81-69 Nov 21
- Hipsher to take over at UT-Pan American Apr 4
- Chicago State victorious in Great West Conference championship Mar 17
- Huskies, Cougars set for Great West title clash Mar 16
- No. 10 Ohio State rolls past Chicago State Dec 29
- Chicago State comes calling on No. 10 Ohio State Dec 29
- Texas-Pan American suspends five players Jan 21
- SDSU comes alive late, keeps Chicago State winless Jan 11
- 22nd-ranked Aztecs entertain winless Cougars Jan 10
- Ohio State dominates Texas-Pan American Dec 3
- Broncs face tall task in bout with Buckeyes Dec 3
- Fredette, BYU rout Chicago State Nov 21