Winthrop never trails, beats Presbyterian 56-42Jan 17, 2010 - 3:03 AM CLINTON, S.C.(AP) -- Mantoris Robinson and Matt Morgan scored 14 points apiece and Winthrop never trailed in a 56-42 victory over Presbyterian on Saturday night.
The Eagles (8-9, 4-3 Big South Conference) scored the first seven points, five by Robinson, and never led by less than five points thereafter.
After a jumper by Khalid Mutakabbir brought the Blue Hose (3-16, 1-6) within 34-29 with 16:51 remaining, Winthrop reeled off an 11-0 run for a 45-29 lead.
Winthrop shot 39 percent (23-for-59) but held Presbyterian to 24.5 percent (12-for-49, including 1-for-14 on 3-pointers), and outrebounded the Blue Hose 46-34.
The Eagles outscored the Blue Hose 34-16 in the paint and 15-4 on second-chance points.
Robbie Dreher added 10 points and Charles Corbin had eight rebounds for Winthrop.
Jake Troyli scored 13 points and Chase Holmes had 10 points to pace Presbyterian.
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Murray free throws allow Presbyterian to top Piedmont, 69-65 Dec 19
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Okafor makes NCAA debut, Duke routs Presbyterian Nov 15
- Blue Devils take on Blue Hose is season debut Nov 14
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16
- Winthrop hits road to challenge No. 14 VCU Nov 16