N.J. Tech 62, Houston Baptist 75Jan 17, 2010 - 4:51 AM HOUSTON (AP) -- Mario Flaherty scored 30 points to pace Houston Baptist to its second consecutive Great West Conference victory, a 75-62 decision over NJIT on Saturday night.
Flaherty hit 7 of 11 shots and 16 of 20 free throws, and he hauled down a game-high 11 rebounds to lead the Huskies (3-12, 2-0).
Andrew Gonzalez scored 14 points, and Wendell Preadom added 11 for Houston Baptist.
Chris Flores led the Highlanders (5-13, 0-2) with 20 points. Isaiah Wilkerson added 13 and Jheryl Wilson 10 for NJIT, which fell to 1-11 away from home.
Houston Baptist hit 20 of 46 (43.5 percent), while NJIT converted 19 of 53 (35.8 percent). The Huskies also held a 37-31 rebounding advantage.
The Huskies extended their 30-25 halftime edge to 41-27 with 14:22 left. Wilson's layup trimmed NJIT's deficit to 46-42 with 10:36 to go, but Houston Baptist pulled away from there.
- Brian Kennedy taking over as head basketball coach at NJIT Apr 13
- Houston Baptist tops NCCAA Crowley's Ridge 102-62 Nov 16
- Lynn's 27 points leads NJIT late surge past USF Nov 16
- Villanova uses second-half charge to down upset-minded NJIT Dec 24
- NJIT faces tall task in clash with No. 7 Villanova Dec 23
- NJIT stuns No. 17 Michigan Dec 6
- NJIT faces uphill climb in clash with No. 17 Michigan Dec 6
- Michigan buries Houston Baptist Dec 7
- Huskies come calling on 22nd-ranked Wolverines Dec 7
- Chicago State victorious in Great West Conference championship Mar 17
- Huskies, Cougars set for Great West title clash Mar 16
- North Dakota claims second straight Great West Conference title Mar 10