Fairfield holds off Canisius 76-74Jan 19, 2010 - 12:27 AM BRIDGEPORT, Conn.(AP) -- Yorel Hawkins scored 21 points and sank two free throws in the final seconds as Fairfield defeated Canisius 76-74 on Monday.
Derek Needham added 17 points and Ryan Olander had 11 for the Stags (13-6, 6-2 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), who won for the sixth time this season after trailing at halftime.
The Stags, who trailed most of the game, tied the score 58-58 with 8:58 to play and led 74-66 lead with 55 seconds remaining. But a pair of 3-pointers by Robert Goldsberry cut the gap to 74-72 with 38 seconds left.
A free throw by Hawkins pushed the lead to 75-72 with nine seconds remaining, but two Canisius foul shots with four seconds to go cut the lead to 75-74. Hawkins made another foul shot with one second left for the final margin.
Coles had 24 points, Frank Turner added 14 and Elton Frazier had 12 for the Golden Griffins (9-10, 4-4).
- NCAA BB
FAIRFIELD 76 FINAL
Jan 18 3:04 PM
- NCAA BB
FAIRFIELD 35 HALFTIME
Jan 18 1:49 PM
- Canisius coach Baron retires after 29-year career May 20
- No. 4 Duke reaches triple digits in rout of Fairfield Nov 15
- No. 4 Duke gets right back to work against Fairfield Nov 15
- Harrell lifts Louisville over Fairfield Nov 23
- Hall of Fame Tip Off pits Cardinals against Stags Nov 23
- Bennett lifts UNLV over Canisius Dec 23
- Canisius heads to Sin City to take on No. 21 UNLV Dec 22
- No. 4 Syracuse routs Canisius Dec 15
- Fourth-ranked Syracuse hosts Canisius in Gotham Classic Dec 15
- Canisius hires Jim Baron Apr 2
- Loyola-Maryland captures first MAAC title since '94 Mar 6
- Stags and Greyhounds meet for MAAC Tournament title Mar 5