Iona defeats Rider 72-59Jan 19, 2010 - 3:24 AM NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y.(AP) -- Scott Machado scored 20 points and Iona defeated Rider 72-59 on Monday night.
Machado hit a 3-pointer 36 seconds into the game to give the Gaels (13-6, 5-3 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) a 3-0 lead, and they didn't trail the rest of the way.
The Broncs (10-10, 3-5) pulled within 9-8 on Ryan Thompson's layup with 15:29 left in the first half. But Iona used a 13-4 run to pull away.
Alejo Rodriguez capped the spurt on a layup for a 22-12 lead with 9:35 left until halftime.
The Gaels shot 52 percent (5 of 12), while holding the Broncs to 12.5 percent from 3-point range (1 of 8) in the first half.
Rider finished shooting just 6.7 percent from long range (1 of 15), while Iona made 47.6 percent of its 3s (10 of 21).
Ryan Thompson scored 17 points for the Broncs and Mike Ringgold chipped in 10.
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Correction: T25-Rider-Maryland story Nov 23
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- No. 20 Michigan State trounces Rider Nov 28
- Orlando Classic action pits Spartans against Broncs Nov 27