Silas leads Northern Illinois past Toledo 58-54Jan 21, 2010 - 3:54 AM TOLEDO, Ohio(AP) -- Xavier Silas scored 13 of his 19 points in the second half and Northern Illinois held off Toledo in a 58-54 win on Wednesday night.
Darion Anderson had 10 points and seven rebounds for the Huskies (8-8, 4-0 Mid-American Conference), who extended their winning streak to six games - the school's longest run since the 1995-1996 season.
It's also the first time Northern Illinois has gone 4-0 in the conference.
Silas, who went 6-for-14 from the floor and 3-for-6 from 3-point range, broke a 44-44 tie on his 3-pointer with 5:56 left in the second half. The Huskies pushed their margin to eight points on Lee Fisher's jumper more than 3 minutes later.
The Rockets (3-15, 0-4) cut Northern Illinois' advantage to 56-54 with 8 seconds left. But Toledo got no closer as Anderson hit two free throws to give the Huskies enough cushion.
Malcolm Griffin led Toledo with 13 points.
- Detroit-area gambler sentenced in Toledo sports bribery Oct 1
- Panthers battle Redbirds in MVC melee Jan 25
- Okafor fuels Duke in win over Toledo Dec 30
- Duke gets back to work against Toledo Dec 29
- Notre Dame rolls through NIU Dec 22
- Irish play host to Huskies Dec 22
- No. 15 VCU takes down Toledo Nov 18
- Rockets seek upset of 15th-ranked Rams Nov 18
- Northern Illinois extends Montgomery through 2018 Apr 18
- Western Michigan takes down Toledo to win MAC title Mar 16
- MAC crown to be decided, as Rockets challenge Broncos Mar 15
- Toledo G Drummond suspended Feb 10