Iona holds off Manhattan 56-53Jan 23, 2010 - 4:27 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Rashard McGill scored 13 points, Jermel Jenkins had a key steal and Kyle Smyth sank a pair of late free throws to secure Iona's 56-53 win over Manhattan on Friday night.
With Iona leading 54-53 with 17 seconds left, Manhattan inbounded the ball looking for the final shot. The Jaspers got the ball to Rico Pickett, their leading scorer on the night with 22 points, but sophomore guard Jermel Jenkins stripped him of the ball before he could get a shot off.
Kyle Smyth, who finished with 10 points and a game-high nine rebounds for the Gaels (14-6, 6-3 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), hit his only two free throw attempts of the game with 2 seconds left for Iona's final margin.
Both Iona and Manhattan were 10-for-16 from the free throw line in the contest (62.5 percent).
Darryl Crawford added 17 points, including nailing three 3-pointers, for the Jaspers (7-12, 2-7).
- NCAA BB
MANHATTAN 53 FINAL
Jan 22 11:09 PM
- NCAA BB
MANHATTAN 28 HALFTIME
Jan 22 9:53 PM
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Manhattan gives Masiello 4-year extension Mar 3
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30