Tennessee Tech defeats Tennessee State 61-56Jan 24, 2010 - 4:25 AM COOKEVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Kevin Murphy scored 18 points and Tennessee Tech held off Tennessee State 61-56 on Saturday night.
The Golden Eagles (10-10, 4-5 Ohio Valley Conference) led 50-39 with 7:43 left, but the Tigers rallied with a 12-point run - capped by a Robert Covington layup - to pull ahead 51-50 with 3:05 remaining.
Murphy hit a 3-pointer to quickly regain the lead, and followed with a jumper after Wil Peters' free throw cut the deficit to one.
Alfred Jones scored on two layups in the last 1:14 to finish with 11 points and Elijah Muhammad added a pair of free throws to give the Golden Eagles their third win in four games.
Frank Davis, who averages 15.6 points per game, scored four on 1-for-10 shooting and is still bidding to surpass 1,000 career points.
Jacquan Nobles scored 16 points to lead Tennessee State (4-17, 1-8), which has lost four straight and nine of its last 10.
- NCAA BB
TENNESSEE ST 56
TENNESSEE TECH 61 FINAL
Jan 23 10:38 PM
- NCAA BB
TENNESSEE ST 27
TENNESSEE TECH 26 HALFTIME
Jan 23 9:30 PM
- Wofford wallops ETSU 87-73 as Collins scores 24 Jan 28
- Tennessee Tech overtakes Robert Morris in 85-72 win Nov 27
- Guyn's 26 lead E. Tennessee St. in 103-90 win over Green Bay Nov 17
- Tennessee Tech rips Piedmont College, 110-72 Nov 14
- Hapless Tigers challenge high-flying Frogs Dec 29
- Anderson, Gill power No. 8 Virginia past Tennessee State Nov 26
- Tennessee State comes calling on No. 8 Virginia Nov 25
- Tennessee State names Dana Ford head coach Apr 21
- Cotton, No. 16 Wichita State take down Tennessee State Nov 16
- Tigers face daunting task in clash with 16th-ranked Shockers Nov 16
- Tennessee Tech no match for No. 24 Oklahoma State Dec 22
- Pokes put perfect home mark on line against Golden Eagles Dec 22