Oakland, Mich., overtakes South Dakota State 85-82Jan 24, 2010 - 4:03 AM BROOKINGS, S.D.(AP) -- Keith Benson had game highs of 23 points and 11 rebounds as Oakland, Mich., became just the second team to win 16 consecutive Summit League games with an 85-82 victory over South Dakota State on Saturday night.
Johnathon Jones scored 17 points and Derick Nelson and Ledrick Eackles had 15 apiece as the Golden Grizzlies (15-7, 9-0) matched Cleveland State's feat from 1991-93.
Kai Williams led the Jackrabbits (10-10, 6-3) with 14 points. Clint Sargent added 13, Nate Wolters 12 and Anthony Cordova 10.
South Dakota State outshot Oakland 56.3 percent to 49.2 percent and held a 31-29 rebounding edge.
Oakland, which also tied a school record with its ninth straight win overall, didn't take the lead for good until Larry Wright scored with 2:05 left to make it 80-78.
The Golden Grizzlies weathered a 17-0 first-half run that helped the Jackrabbits to a 44-39 lead at the break.
- NCAA BB
SO DAKOTA ST 82 FINAL
Jan 23 10:35 PM
- NCAA BB
SO DAKOTA ST 44 HALFTIME
Jan 23 9:23 PM
- South Dakota St hires Otzelberger as men's basketball coach Apr 14
- Oakland University agrees to 3-year, $864K deal with Kampe Apr 11
- Oakland U's Kay Felder hires agent, will stay in draft Apr 8
- Oakland's Felder declares for draft, has not hired agent Apr 5
- Jackrabbits seek 1st NCAA Tournament win Mar 17
- South Dakota State men win Summit championship, 67-59 Mar 9
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- S. Dakota St. rallies to beat ORU in Summit League tourney Mar 6
- Oakland beats Robert Morris 92-74 behind Hooper Dec 5
- South Dakota State beats D-II Wayne State 80-53 Dec 2
- Bittle scores 23, South Dakota St. beats Chadron St., 87-52 Nov 14
- Bison edge Jackrabbits in Summit final thriller Mar 10