Howard holds off Bethune-Cookman 67-64Jan 26, 2010 - 4:09 AM WASHINGTON(AP) -- Dadrian Collins scored 18 points, including sinking four 3-pointers, to help Howard hold off Bethune-Cookman 67-64 on Monday night.
Howard opened the game on a 7-0 run and led by 21 points at halftime, but CJ Reed hit a pair of foul shots to pull the Wildcats within 64-61 with 7 seconds left. But the Bison, who never trailed in the game, went 3-for-4 from the free throw line down the stretch to seal it.
Howard sank 25 of 35 free throws (71.4 percent) while the Wildcats were just 8 of 15 from the stripe (53.3 percent).
Calvin Thompson added 13 points and Curtis White had 10 for the Bison (6-15, 5-2 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference), who have won four of five to pull even with Bethune-Cookman in second place in the MEAC.
Reed scored 20 points to lead the Wildcats (12-8, 5-2), while Javoris Bryant and Jarrell Thomas added 13 points apiece.
- NCAA BB
BETHUNE COOKMAN 64
HOWARD 67 FINAL
Jan 25 10:18 PM
- NCAA BB
BETHUNE COOKMAN 16
HOWARD 37 HALFTIME
Jan 25 9:06 PM
- Bethune-Cookman beats Trinity Baptist 108-54 in opener Nov 13
- Norfolk State earns 1st NCAA tourney bid by besting Bethune-Cookman Mar 10
- MEAC title up for grabs in Winston-Salem Mar 10
- No. 17 Kansas downs Howard Dec 30
- Kansas welcomes Howard to Lawrence Dec 29
- Indiana thumps Howard Dec 19
- Bison seek upset of undefeated Hoosiers Dec 19
- No. 6 Baylor stays perfect with win over Bethune-Cookman Dec 15
- No.6 Bears welcome Wildcats to Waco Dec 14
- No. 18 Georgetown downs Howard Dec 10
- Bison face tall task in bout with 18th-ranked Hoyas Dec 10
- Terps point guard Howard out with foot injury Oct 27