Hampton defeats Florida A&M 66-53Jan 26, 2010 - 3:44 AM HAMPTON, Va.(AP) -- Michael Freeman scored 17 points to lead Hampton to a 66-53 win over Florida A&M on Monday night.
Freeman also added 10 rebounds for the Pirates (6-13, 3-4 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference). Darrion Pellum added 12 points for Hampton.
The Pirates used a 17-4 run in the second half to take a 61-44 lead after a jumper from Brandon Tunnell with 2:50 remaining. It was Hampton's largest lead of the game, and the Rattlers would get no closer than within 13 points.
Larry Jackson led Florida A&M (4-15, 2-5) with 16 points and 11 rebounds. The Rattlers have now lost four of their last five games.
Hampton shot 53.1 percent from the field (26-for-49) while holding Florida A&M to 32.7 percent shooting (18-for-55). The Pirates also scored 17 points off of the Rattlers' 15 turnovers.
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Florida A&M holds off Thomas (Ga.) 70-68 behind Bernard Nov 19
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16
- Pirates come calling on 23rd-ranked Orange Nov 16
- Irving returns as Duke routs Hampton Mar 18