UTEP stops Tulane 84-71Jan 28, 2010 - 4:49 AM EL PASO, Texas(AP) -- Jeremy Williams and Christian Polk scored 21 points each to lead UTEP to an 84-71 victory over Tulane Wednesday night.
Randy Culpepper had 14 points and Claude Britten 12 on 6-for-6 shooting for the Miners (14-5, 5-1 Conference USA). Britten played just nine minutes because of foul trouble.
UTEP shot 54 percent from the field in the game and opened up a 22-point lead just past the midway point of the second half. Williams was 11-for-12 from the free-throw line and Julyan Stone grabbed 13 rebounds for the Miners.
Kris Richard led the Green Wave (6-13, 1-5) with 18 points. Kendall Timmons had 14 and Asim McQueen 10.
Williams and Polk each scored 11 points in the first half as UTEP raced to a 37-23 lead at the break. Tulane never led in the game.
- NCAA BB
UTEP 84 FINAL
Jan 27 11:11 PM
- NCAA BB
UTEP 37 HALFTIME
Jan 27 10:00 PM
- Tulane's Dunleavy explains decision to try college now Mar 29
- Ex-NBA coach Dunleavy Sr. takes first college job at Tulane Mar 28
- Tulane AD: Ed Conroy out as Tulane men's basketball coach Mar 14
- UTEP coach Floyd suspended 1 game Feb 27
- St. John's buries Tulane to continue roll Dec 28
- Tulane challenges No. 17 St. John's Dec 28
- No. 13 UW pulls away from Tulane Dec 23
- Green Wave hoping to hand Huskies first loss of season Dec 22
- No. 3 Arizona outlasts UTEP Dec 20
- Third-ranked Wildcats hit road to battle Miners Dec 19
- Three UTEP men's hoops players dismissed after gambling probe Jan 7
- Ellis, Kansas hold off UTEP Nov 30