Appalachian State defeats Samford 68-55Jan 29, 2010 - 4:14 AM BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(AP) -- Donald Sims scored 13 points and Appalachian State defeated Samford 68-55 on Thursday night.
The Mountaineers, shooting 46.9 percent heading in, made 51.1 percent from the field (24 of 47) against the Bulldogs (9-12, 3-6).
Kellen Brand and Ryann Abraham added 11 points apiece for Appalachian State.
The Mountaineers jumped out to a 20-6 lead on Booth's layup with 10:48 left in the first half, and led 38-18 at halftime.
The Bulldogs shot 25 percent (5 of 20), compared to 52.9 percent in the first half (14 of 27) by the Mountaineers.
Samford pulled within 61-55 on Josh Davis' 3-pointer with 41 seconds to play. The Mountaineers closed it out with seven straight points, the first five coming from Sims.
Appalachian State scored 17 points off 14 turnovers, and added 18 more in the paint.
Josh Davis scored 25 points for Samford.
- Samford coach Padgett signs 4-year extension Mar 6
- Samford tabs Padgett new head coach Jun 6
- Fox named Appalachian State hoops coach Apr 8
- Appalachian State fires Capel Mar 10
- Missouri handles Appalachian State Dec 2
- Mountaineers face uphill climb in clash with 16th-ranked Tigers Dec 1
- Thomas, Memphis fend off Samford Nov 18
- Samford takes on No. 17 Memphis Nov 17
- No. 2 Louisville feasts on Samford Nov 15
- No. 2 Cardinals set sights on Bulldogs Nov 15
- No. 3 Kentucky handles Samford Dec 20
- Kentucky puts win streak on the line against Samford Dec 20