Rhode Island holds off George Washington 72-66Jan 30, 2010 - 9:53 PM KINGSTON, R.I.(AP) -- Keith Cothran scored 14 points, including a key 3-pointer late in the game, to lead Rhode Island to a 72-66 victory over George Washington on Saturday.
The Rams (17-3, 5-2 Atlantic 10 Conference) led by as many as 16 points in the first half, but the Colonials (12-8, 2-5) chipped away in the second half and trailed just 65-61 with 1:35 to play.
Cothran's 3-pointer with 1:03 remaining gave Rhode Island a 68-61 lead and the Colonials never got closer than five points the rest of the way. Two free throws by Lamonte Ulmer made it 71-63 with 24 seconds left.
Akeem Richmond scored 11 points and Ulmer 10 for Rhode Island, while Delroy James grabbed nine rebounds and blocked three shots.
Tony Taylor led George Washington with 22 points, 18 of them in the second half, while Lasan Kromah added 13 points and Dwayne Smith 10 points.
- NCAA BB
GEO WASHINGTON 66
RHODE ISLAND 72 FINAL
Jan 30 3:07 PM
- NCAA BB
GEO WASHINGTON 26
RHODE ISLAND 37 HALFTIME
Jan 30 1:54 PM
- Cavanaugh scores 18; No. 21 GW beats St Peter's 87 Dec 19
- Rhode Island guard E.C. Matthews out for season Nov 14
- Hurley has new deal at Rhode Island Apr 2
- VCU gets back on track at George Washington Feb 15
- Colonials tangle with 20th-ranked Rams Feb 14
- VCU keeps rolling with rout of George Washington Jan 27
- Colonials come calling on 14th-ranked Rams Jan 27
- No. 17 VCU rallies to down Rhode Island Jan 13
- VCU and Rhode Island lock horns in A-10 tussle Jan 13
- GW upends No. 11 Wichita State Dec 25
- Shockers clash with Colonials for Diamond Head Classic crown Dec 25
- Kansas beats URI to move on in Orlando Nov 27