Southern sinks Alcorn State 84-75Jan 31, 2010 - 1:42 AM BATON ROUGE, La.(AP) -- Jazz Williams scored 20 points and Doug Scott had a double-double, leading Southern University over winless Alcorn State 84-75 on Saturday.
Ian Francis dropped in a layup to put Alcorn State ahead 17-12. But Williams hit one of his five 3-pointers in the contest, sparking a 17-5 Southern run, and the Jaguars (4-17, 2-7 Southwestern Athletic Conference) led the rest of the way.
Southern led by seven at halftime and outscored the Braves 45-43 to seal it in the second.
Julius Ingram added 18 points while Scott had 14 points and 10 rebounds for the Jaguars, who snapped a five-game losing skid. Madut Bol chipped in with 12 points.
JaMarkus Holt paced the Braves (0-22, 0-9) with 16 points, Francis had 12 and Brandon Rogers finished with 10.
Southern scored 21 points off of 16 Alcorn State turnovers, and the Jaguars had the advantage in bench scoring 41-20.
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Texas Southern rallies late, wins SWAC title Mar 14
- Tigers, Jaguars meet in SWAC title clash Mar 14
- No. 22 Baylor survives scare against Southern Dec 22
- Iowa State takes care of Southern Dec 15
- Cyclones hope to blow past visiting Jaguars Dec 14
- Taylor leads Texas rout of Alcorn State Nov 17
- Braves face tall task in clash with 10th-ranked Longhorns Nov 16
- Baylor routs Southern Dec 22
- Southern hits road seeking upset of No. 12 Baylor Dec 22
- No. 1 Arizona beats Southern, moves to 12-0 Dec 20