Penn defeats Brown 55-54Jan 31, 2010 - 3:24 AM PROVIDENCE, R.I.(AP) -- Dan Moncton scored on a put-back at the buzzer after an offensive rebound and Penn beat Brown 55-54 on Saturday night.
The Quakers rallied from a five-point deficit in the final 20 seconds. Trailing 54-49, Zack Rosen hit a layup to cut the lead to 54-51. Rosen then hit two foul shots with 6 seconds left to cut the lead to one.
Brown's Tucker Halpern missed a free throw with 5 seconds remaining, Penn rebounded and Zack Gordon missed a 3-pointer before Moncton's heroics.
Brown led most of the game and built a 13-point lead at 24-11 after a jumper by Marques Coleman with 5:21 left in the first half.
Rosen scored 19 points, Jack Eggleston had 18 and Moncton 11 for the Quakers (2-14, 1-1 Ivy League), who snapped a four-game losing streak.
Halpern led the Bears (7-15, 1-3) with 14 points, Matt Mullery added 12 and Garrett Leffelman had 10.
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown back for No. 10 SMU Jan 11
- Larry Brown not on No. 15 SMU bench after halftime Jan 10
- SMU's Brown set for return after 9-game NCAA suspension Dec 21
- Penn holds on to beat Robert Morris 76-75 Nov 13
- SMU opener marks start of Larry Brown's NCAA suspension Nov 12
- Donahue tries to revitalize career, sagging program at Penn Nov 12
- Auburn freshman guard Bryce Brown suspended for opener Nov 12
- Cal freshmen stars Brown, Rabb focused on school first Oct 29
- Top recruit Jaylen Brown picks Cal May 1
- Holy Carmody! Crusaders name their coach Mar 19
- Penn names Steve Donahue men's hoops coach Mar 16