Johnson, Southern Mississippi defeat Tulane 58-40Jan 31, 2010 - 4:04 AM NEW ORLEANS(AP) -- Angelo Johnson scored 20 points and Southern Mississippi led nearly the entire game in a 58-40 victory over Tulane on Saturday night.
The Golden Eagles (12-8, 2-4 Conference USA) led by at least six points in the second half after taking a 23-16 halftime lead.
Neither team scored in the game's first 3:39 and the Green Wave (6-14, 1-6) took their only lead, 6-4, with 14:11 left in the half.
In a second half that contained one stretch of 5:22 in which neither team scored, a layup by Buchi Awaji put Southern Miss in front 48-37 with 3:19 left and it held a double-digit lead the rest of the way.
Awaji finished with 13 points for Southern Miss, which made 37 percent (17-for-46) of its shots and turned the ball over 19 times.
Jordan Callahan with 12 points and Kris Richard with 11 were the top scorers for Tulane, which shot 28.2 percent (11-for-39).
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN MISS 58
TULANE 40 FINAL
Jan 30 9:55 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN MISS 23
TULANE 16 HALFTIME
Jan 30 8:48 PM
- Former So. Miss coach Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause Apr 8
- Tulane's Dunleavy explains decision to try college now Mar 29
- Ex-NBA coach Dunleavy Sr. takes first college job at Tulane Mar 28
- Tulane AD: Ed Conroy out as Tulane men's basketball coach Mar 14
- Southern Miss self-imposes postseason ban Jan 20
- St. John's buries Tulane to continue roll Dec 28
- Tulane challenges No. 17 St. John's Dec 28
- No. 13 UW pulls away from Tulane Dec 23
- Green Wave hoping to hand Huskies first loss of season Dec 22
- NCAA reviewing Southern Miss men's hoops Nov 6
- Southern Miss names Sadler men's hoops coach May 1
- No. 9 Louisville stifles Southern Miss en route to win Nov 29