Duquesne defeats Saint Joseph's 74-71Jan 31, 2010 - 11:30 PM By ALAN ROBINSON AP Sports Writer
PITTSBURGH(AP) -- Damian Saunders scored on successive possessions for Duquesne after Saint Joseph's tied the game for the first time in the second half, and the Dukes held for a 74-71 victory on Sunday.
Melquan Bolding scored 24 for Duquesne (11-10, 2-5 in Atlantic 10) - easily the most since breaking his right wrist while scoring 25 in the season opener against Nicholls State. Saunders had 15 points, 14 rebounds and seven blocks for his 16th double-double this season.
Darrin Govens and Justin Crosgile had 17 points each for Saint Joseph's (8-13, 2-5), which turned the ball over with 7.6 seconds remaining and a chance to take the lead. Carl Jones then missed a desperation 3-pointer just before the final horn.
The Dukes never trailed in the second half - but it was tied at 66-all with 1:57 to play. They allowed the Hawks to stay in the game by missing 10 of 21 free throws after halftime.
- NCAA BB
SAINT JOSEPHS 71
DUQUESNE 74 FINAL
Jan 31 6:13 PM
- NCAA BB
SAINT JOSEPHS 31
DUQUESNE 39 HALFTIME
Jan 31 4:56 PM
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Saint Joseph's flying high as Atlantic 10 contenders Feb 19
- Saint Joseph's rolls to 75-60 win over Penn Jan 20
- Duquesne overcomes poor shooting to beat Robert Morris 72-65 Dec 19
- Ferry gets extension at Duquesne Jun 30
- VCU holds on to down Duquesne Jan 18
- Dukes seek upset of 17th-ranked Rams Jan 17
- Sharp shooting leads VCU past Saint Joseph's Jan 11
- Hawks seek upset of 20th-ranked Rams Jan 10
- No. 10 Villanova rolls past Saint Joseph's Dec 6
- Bitter rivals clash, as Hawks visit Wildcats Dec 6