Wichita State escapes Southern Illinois 55-54Feb 1, 2010 - 3:30 AM CARBONDALE, Ill.(AP) -- Graham Hatch scored 13 points and Garrett Stutz added 12 as Wichita State held off Southern Illinois 55-54 Sunday night.
The Shockers (19-4, 8-3 Missouri Valley), who ended an 11-game losing streak in Carbondale, led by as many as 10 in the second half before watching the Salukis pull to within one on three occasions.
Southern Illinois (12-9, 4-7), though, couldn't surge ahead.
After Kevin Dillard's layup cut Wichita State's lead to 55-54 with 19.3 seconds to play, Clevin Hannah missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with 15.6 seconds remaining. Dillard then got the ball back, but his running shot in the closing seconds failed to drop.
Gene Teague and Tony Freeman each scored 12 points to lead Southern Illinois.
With the game tied at 34 early in the second half, the Shockers scored 10 straight points, highlighted by six from Stutz.
- NCAA BB
WICHITA ST 55
SOUTHN ILLINOIS 54 FINAL
Jan 31 9:56 PM
- NCAA BB
WICHITA ST 29
SOUTHN ILLINOIS 28 HALFTIME
Jan 31 8:51 PM
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Notre Dame lights up Wichita State, reaches Elite Eight Mar 27