King College upsets Appalachian State 87-76Feb 2, 2010 - 2:24 AM BOONE, N.C.(AP) -- Clarence Smith scored 22 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to help Division II King College upset Appalachian State 87-76 on Monday night.
Brian Hewitt also had a double-double for the Tornado (13-4), scoring 15 points and dishing out 10 assists.
The Tornado finished with 15 steals, helping to lead to 18 Mountaineers' turnovers.
Appalachian State (12-10) had its only lead of the second half, 60-59, with 8:34 remaining before King answered with seven straight points. Smith's layup capped the spurt with 7 minutes to go.
The Tornado trailed 17-13 with 11:55 left in the first half, before Stephen Kite's free throws put them ahead for the first time 19-17 with 10:27 to go until halftime. The foul shots were part of an 11-0 run by King.
Mark Dockery scored 15 points, Kite 12 and Elisha Murray 11 for the Tornado.
Josh Hunter led the Mountaineers with 22 points.
- NCAA BB
KING COLLEGE TN 87
APPALACHIAN ST 76 FINAL
Feb 1 8:56 PM
- NCAA BB
KING COLLEGE TN 39
APPALACHIAN ST 31 HALFTIME
Feb 1 7:45 PM
- Fox named Appalachian State hoops coach Apr 8
- Appalachian State fires Capel Mar 10
- Missouri handles Appalachian State Dec 2
- Mountaineers face uphill climb in clash with 16th-ranked Tigers Dec 1
- ASU's King kicked off basketball team Jan 8
- Zeller and North Carolina cruise past App State Dec 17
- Hoyas bounce back with win over Appalachian State Dec 12
- King leaves Villanova program Jun 21
- Appalachian State hires Capel as new coach Apr 21
- Pacific topples Appalachian State 64-56 Mar 25
- Wofford beats Appalachian St, earns 1st NCAA berth Mar 9
- Villanova could play without King Mar 8