Hampton defeats Maryland-Eastern Shore 79-65Feb 2, 2010 - 3:51 AM PRINCESS ANNE, Md.(AP) -- Michael Freeman scored 21 points and grabbed 16 rebounds, and Hampton defeated Maryland-Eastern Shore 79-65 on Monday night.
Darrion Pellum added 19 points and Charles Funches had 14 for the Pirates (7-14, 4-5 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference).
The Pirates had lost four of their previous six games. It was the first time in eight games the Pirates scored more than 70 points.
Hampton outrebounded the Hawks 42-28 and scored 22 second-chance points on 17 offensive rebounds.
Leading 34-29 at halftime, Hampton pulled away in the second half on the strength of 53.6 percent shooting from the field (15 of 28). The Pirates shot 49.2 percent (30 of 61).
Hilary Haley scored 21 points for the Hawks (6-15, 4-4) after posting a career-high 33 points on Saturday against Howard. Tim Burns added 16 points and Kevin White had 12 assists.
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 15 VCU beats UMES 106-66 Nov 20
- Rams butt heads with Hawks in Legends Classic Nov 20
- No. 12 Villanova eases past Maryland-Eastern Shore Nov 18
- Hawks hope to soar past Wildcats Nov 17