Rhode Island holds off La Salle 90-83Feb 3, 2010 - 2:47 AM PHILADELPHIA(AP) -- Will Martell scored 16 points to lead six Rhode Island players in double figures as the Rams held off La Salle 90-83 on Tuesday night.
Rhode Island (18-3, 6-2 Atlantic 10 Conference) led by 17 points after holding the Explorers scoreless for more than 5 minutes during the first half.
La Salle (11-11, 3-5) cut the margin to three at 73-70 on a Rodney Green layup with 7:10 left. The Rams again built an eight-point cushion, then the Explorers whittled the deficit to 82-79 with 1:46 left. Rhode Island was 8-for-8 from the free throw line in the final 57 seconds.
Lamonte Ulmer had 14 points, Marquis Jones 13, Keith Cothran 12, Akeem Richmond 11 and Delroy James 10 for the Rams, who have won six of their last seven games. Jones added six assists and James had five blocks.
Green led La Salle with 22 points on 9-for-24 shooting and 12 boards. Aaric Murray had 18 points.
- Rhode Island guard E.C. Matthews out for season Nov 14
- Hurley has new deal at Rhode Island Apr 2
- No. 24 Davidson beats La Salle at buzzer Mar 13
- Explorers seek upset of Wildcats in A-10 Tournament Mar 13
- La Salle downs slumping VCU in double OT Feb 11
- Explorers seek upset of 20th-ranked Rams Feb 11
- No. 17 VCU rallies to down Rhode Island Jan 13
- VCU and Rhode Island lock horns in A-10 tussle Jan 13
- No. 10 Villanova tops Big 5 rival La Salle Dec 4
- La Salle seeks upset of No. 10 Villanova Dec 3
- Brogdon and Virginia down La Salle Nov 29
- Explorers seek upset of eighth-ranked Cavaliers Nov 28