Richmond 68, Saint Joseph's 58Feb 4, 2010 - 3:06 AM PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- David Gonzalvez scored 18 points and had nine rebounds to lead Richmond to a 68-58 victory over Saint Joseph's on Wednesday night.
The Spiders (17-6, 6-2 Atlantic 10 Conference) shot 53.6 percent from the field (15-for-28) in the first half to take a 36-27 halftime lead.
Gonzalvez's 3-pointer pushed the margin to 45-32 with 15:28 to play, but Saint Joseph's rallied to cut the lead to 62-54 on Bryant Irwin's 3-pointer and then to seven points on Garrett Williamson's free throw with 2:19 remaining.
Kevin Anderson's jumper gave Richmond a 64-55 lead with 1:40 left.
The Spiders, who have won five of their past six games, committed only seven turnovers and scored 32 points in the paint to 14 for Saint Joseph's (8-14, 2-6).
Darrin Govens scored 13 points and Carl Jones added 12 points for Saint Joseph's, which shot 39.6 percent from the field (19-for-48).
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Richmond reserve Wood to miss 2nd game with concussion Mar 10
- Passing fancy: Nancy Lieberman's son also an adept passer Feb 23
- Saint Joseph's flying high as Atlantic 10 contenders Feb 19
- Saint Joseph's rolls to 75-60 win over Penn Jan 20
- Richmond nips No. 22 VCU in double OT Feb 26
- Bragging rights on line in clash between Rams and Spiders Feb 25
- Richmond upsets VCU in Capital City Classic Jan 31
- Rams butt heads with cross-town rival Spiders Jan 31
- No. 22 Dayton edges Richmond Jan 24
- 22nd-ranked Flyers set sights on Spiders Jan 24