Memphis pulls away from UAB 85-75Feb 4, 2010 - 3:40 AM MEMPHIS, Tenn.(AP) -- Wesley Witherspoon scored 29 points and keyed a late Memphis rally as the Tigers defeated Alabama-Birmingham 85-75 on Wednesday night, extending their home dominance over the Blazers.
Elliot Williams added 25 and seven assists for Memphis (16-6, 6-2 Conference USA), which has won 11 straight home games over UAB. The Blazers have not won a regular-season game in Memphis since Jan. 2, 1999.
Elijah Millsap led the Blazers with 18 points and nine rebounds, connecting on 7 of 11 from the field. Jamarr Sanders added 16 points and Howard Crawford finished with 13 points. Aaron Johnson had 12 points and eight assists for UAB (18-4, 6-2).
The game was close throughout with 31 lead changes and 10 ties. Neither team led by more than six points, until the stretch run.
With the game tied at 69 with 3:53 remaining, Witherspoon scored six unanswered points to give the Tigers the lead.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
UAB 32 43 75
MEMPHIS 31 54 85 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: UAB - ELIJAH MILLSAP 18, JAMARR SANDERS 16,
HOWARD CRAWFORD 13
MEMPHIS - WESLEY WITHERSPOON 29, ELLIOT WILLIAMS
25, DONEAL MACK 9
Feb 3 10:08 PM
- NCAA BB
MEMPHIS 31 HALFTIME
Feb 3 8:54 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- UAB gives Robert Ehsan 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually Apr 20
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- UAB elevates Rob Ehsan to become men's basketball coach Apr 4
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- UAB, Haase agree to new 6-year contract Mar 25
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- UAB topples Iowa State for first upset of tourney Mar 19