Furman defeats North Carolina-Greensboro 72-64Feb 5, 2010 - 2:26 AM GREENVILLE, S.C.(AP) -- Amu Saaka scored 21 points and Furman defeated North Carolina-Greensboro 72-64 on Thursday night.
Jordan Miller added 17 points, including 7 of 8 from the free throw line in the final minute, for the Paladins (11-11, 5-6 Southern Conference) as the home team won for the 16th time in the 17 meetings played in either Greenville or Greensboro, N.C.
The Spartans (6-16, 4-7), who led the entire first half, led by as many as 17 points with 5:04 to go in the half and took a 36-27 advantage into halftime.
Furman opened the second half with 11 straight points, and took its first lead, 37-36, on Justin Dehm's 3 with 15:25 remaining. The Paladins wouldn't trail the rest of the way.
Kendall Toney scored 17 points, and Ben Stywall had 12 points and 13 rebounds for the Spartans. Stywall moved into third place on UNC-Greensboro's all-time rebounding list with 870.
- NCAA BB
UNC GREENSBORO 64
FURMAN 72 FINAL
Feb 4 9:03 PM
- NCAA BB
UNC GREENSBORO 36
FURMAN 27 HALFTIME
Feb 4 7:50 PM
- Dancing again: Wofford clinches bid Mar 9
- Furman battles Wofford in SoCon championship game Mar 9
- No. 24 North Carolina drops UNC Greensboro Dec 16
- Tar Heels make short trip to tangle with Spartans Dec 16
- No. 4 Duke handles Furman Nov 27
- Fourth-ranked Blue Devils take aim at Paladins Nov 26
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- Clanton, No. 19 UCF handle Furman Dec 30
- Wofford defeats UNC-Greensboro 59-47 Mar 6
- UNC-Greensboro beats Furman 66-65 in SoCon tourney Mar 5
- UNC-Greenboro holds off Georgia Southern 81-79 Mar 1
- College of Charleston defeats Furman 69-66 Feb 27