Winthrop pulls away to beat Liberty 67-43Feb 5, 2010 - 5:20 AM LYNCHBURG, Va.(AP) -- Matt Morgan scored 16 points and Charles Corbin 15 as Winthrop pulled away to a 67-43 victory over Liberty on Thursday night.
Corbin scored two baskets during an 8-0 run for the Eagles (12-10, 8-4 Big South Conference) after the game was tied at 14 with 10 minutes remaining in the first half.
Winthrop closed the first half with an 8-2 run to lead 34-21 at intermission. Leading 44-34 with 12:32 left, the Eagles put together a 16-0 run, highlighted by six points each from Corbin and Andy Buechert.
Evan Gordon scored eight points and Patrick Konan seven for the Flames (11-12, 6-5), who shot just 23.3 percent (7-for-30) in the second half.
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Kemrite's 3-pointers help Liberty top Summit 90-49 Nov 14
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16
- Winthrop hits road to challenge No. 14 VCU Nov 16
- Flame Out: NC A&T edges Liberty in Tourney opener Mar 19
- NCAA Tournament gets underway as Aggies take on Flames Mar 19