Eastern Kentucky edges Jacksonville State 66-65Feb 7, 2010 - 2:33 AM RICHMOND, Ky.(AP) -- Papa Oppong scored 20 points and Justin Stommes added 16, including a go-ahead layup with 21 seconds left Saturday night, to lift Eastern Kentucky past Jacksonville State 66-65.
Stommes' layup for the Colonels (17-8, 9-4 Ohio Valley Conference) came after both teams missed shots on two consecutive possessions.
Dominique Shellman had given the Gamecocks (10-13, 6-7) a 65-64 lead by making one of two free throws with 2:22 remaining to break the game's 10th tie.
Jacksonville State twice led by six points in the second half, only to see Eastern Kentucky come back. The Colonels held a seven-point lead, 57-50, with 6:56 left but couldn't hold it.
Both teams shot over 50 percent in the second half - Eastern Kentucky at 54.2 percent (13-for-24) and Jacksonville State at 52.2 percent (12-for-23).
Trenton Marshall scored 19 points and Nick Murphy 15 to lead the Gamecocks.
- NCAA BB
JACKSONVILLE ST 65
EASTRN KENTUCKY 66 FINAL
Feb 6 8:56 PM
- NCAA BB
JACKSONVILLE ST 27
EASTRN KENTUCKY 25 HALFTIME
Feb 6 7:39 PM
- Jacksonville State's James Green out as basketball coach Mar 16
- No. 18 Miami falls at home to Eastern Kentucky Dec 19
- Colonels seek upset of 18th-ranked Hurricanes Dec 19
- Towns, Kentucky rout EKU Dec 8
- Top-ranked Wildcats play host to Colonels Dec 7
- Louisville crushes Jacksonville St. in home opener Nov 17
- Louisville hosts Jacksonville State in Gobal Sports Showcase Nov 17
- Eastern Kentucky extends Neubauer's contract May 5
- Kansas advances with win over EKU Mar 21
- Colonels face tall task in showdown with Jayhawks Mar 21
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8