Morgan State defeats Bethune-Cookman 48-47Feb 9, 2010 - 3:25 AM BALTIMORE(AP) -- Troy Smith made two free throws with 37 seconds left and Morgan State overcame Bethune-Cookman 48-47 on Monday night.
The Bears (18-7, 10-0 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) trailed 42-38 with 4:34 left, before scoring five straight. Smith's three-point play put Morgan State up 43-42 with 2:56 remaining.
The Wildcats (15-9, 6-4) regained the lead, 47-46, on a Jarrell Thomas 3 with 1:02 left.
After Smith's free throws put the Bears up, Bethune-Cookman had two chances for the win.
C.J. Reed missed a jumper with 6 seconds left and Albert Abrahams, who came down with the offensive rebound, missed a layup with 4 seconds left, giving the Bears their eighth-straight win.
The Bears shot 34 percent (16 of 47) from the field and the nation's No. 6 scorer, Reggie Holmes (22.8 points per game), was held to six points.
Reed had 15 points and Thomas 10 for the Wildcats.
- NCAA BB
BETHUNE COOKMAN 47
MORGAN ST 48 FINAL
Feb 8 9:40 PM
- NCAA BB
BETHUNE COOKMAN 19
MORGAN ST 24 HALFTIME
Feb 8 8:36 PM
- Bethune-Cookman beats Trinity Baptist 108-54 in opener Nov 13
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15
- Oregon cruises past Morgan State Dec 29
- Morgan State faces unenviable task of taking on No. 12 Oregon Dec 29
- Smith powers Buckeyes past Morgan State Nov 9
- Bears battle Buckeyes in season opener Nov 9
- NC A&T wins MEAC Mar 16
- MEAC crown up for grabs in clash between Aggies and Bears Mar 16
- Norfolk State earns 1st NCAA tourney bid by besting Bethune-Cookman Mar 10
- MEAC title up for grabs in Winston-Salem Mar 10
- Morgan State places Bozeman on leave Jan 9