Valparaiso nips Illinois-Chicago 83-82Feb 9, 2010 - 4:16 AM VALAPARAISO, Ind.(AP) -- Brandon Wood and Ryan Broekhoff each scored 18 points as Valparaiso edged Illinois-Chicago 83-82 Monday night.
Brandon McPherson added 15 points for the Crusaders (13-13, 8-6 Horizon), who have won seven of their last nine games.
Jeremy Buttell had 25 points and 12 rebounds to lead the Flames (6-18, 2-12), who scored a season high but still lost for the 10th time in 11 games. Robo Kreps added 17 points.
Valparaiso led 75-66 with just over three minutes to play, but Illinois-Chicago quickly mounted an 11-4 run to pull within two with just under a minute left. Two free throws by McPherson later put the Crusaders ahead 83-79 with 27 seconds to go.
Kreps then hit a 3 as time expired.
Neither team led by more than nine points in a game that featured 10 ties and nine lead changes.
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS CHI 82
VALPARAISO 83 FINAL
Feb 8 10:12 PM
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS CHI 31
VALPARAISO 31 HALFTIME
Feb 8 8:51 PM
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- UIC hires McClain as men's basketball coach Mar 23
- Maryland survives Valparaiso to advance Mar 20
- Terps open NCAA Tournament play against Crusaders Mar 20
- Valpo comes back to beat Green Bay in Horizon final Mar 10
- Illinois-Chicago fires Moore Mar 10
- Crusaders clash with Phoenix for Horizon League crown Mar 10
- Bryce Drew, Valpo agree on new 10-year deal Dec 18
- UIC gives Moore contract extension Apr 17
- Nix, Michigan State cruise past Valpo in second round Mar 21