Evansville ends 14-game slide with 65-62 victoryFeb 10, 2010 - 4:30 AM EVANSVILLE, Ind.(AP) -- James Haarsma scored 18 points as Evansville held off Wichita State 65-62 Tuesday night to end a 14-game losing streak.
The Purple Aces (7-17, 1-13 Missouri Valley) led 59-49 with 3:54 to play, but the Shockers chipped away at the lead and eventually pulled to within one with 7.5 seconds remaining following three free throws by Clevin Hannah.
After two free throws by Colt Ryan put Evansville up 65-62 with 5.8 seconds to play, Wichita State (20-6, 9-5) got the ball back, but turned it over, giving the Aces their first victory since December 19.
Denver Holmes added 17 points for Evansville, which also ended a 14-game regular season conference losing streak.
Garrett Stutz scored 15 points to lead Wichita State, which fell to 19-2 when scoring at least 60 points.
- NCAA BB
WICHITA ST 62
EVANSVILLE 65 FINAL
Feb 9 10:17 PM
- NCAA BB
WICHITA ST 20
EVANSVILLE 30 HALFTIME
Feb 9 9:00 PM
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3
- Evansville claims CIT title over Northern Arizona Apr 2
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Northern Arizona and Evansville clash for CIT crown Apr 2