Samford's hot shooting beats Chattanooga 78-54Feb 11, 2010 - 2:24 AM CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.(AP) -- Josh Davis scored 30 points and Samford defeated Chattanooga 78-54 on Wednesday night.
Davis, the Southern Conference's No. 5 3-point shooter at 2.8 3s a game, was 7 of 13 from long range (53.8 percent) to help the Bulldogs (10-15, 4-9) snap a five-game losing streak.
The Bulldogs also defeated the Mocs for the first time since Feb. 21, 1974, snapping a 10-game losing streak.
Samford shot 62.5 percent from behind the 3-point arc (15 of 24), and shot 61 percent from the field (25 of 41).
The Bulldogs used a 75 percent shooting effort in the second half (12 of 16) to outscore the Mocs 40-22 after halftime.
Jeffrey Merritt added 13 points and Trey Montgomery had 10 for Samford.
Ty Patterson scored 15 points for Chattanooga (13-13, 5-8) and Keegan Bell added 11. Chris Early and Ricky Taylor added 10 each for the Mocs, who lost their third straight.
- NCAA BB
CHATTANOOGA 54 FINAL
Feb 10 8:44 PM
- NCAA BB
CHATTANOOGA 32 HALFTIME
Feb 10 7:40 PM
- Chattanooga selects McCall as new men's hoops coach Apr 12
- Wade leaves Chattanooga to return to VCU Apr 7
- Samford coach Padgett signs 4-year extension Mar 6
- No. 3 Wisconsin trounces Chattanooga Nov 16
- No. 3 Wisconsin entertains Chattanooga Nov 16
- Samford tabs Padgett new head coach Jun 6
- Chattanooga extends Foster through 2018-19 Jun 5
- Adams leads UCLA past Chattanooga Nov 25
- Mocs seek upset of 22nd-ranked Bruins Nov 24
- Chattanooga selects Wade as new men's hoops coach May 13
- Chattanooga tabs Foster as next women's basketball coach May 9
- Chattanooga fires Shulman Mar 21