Balanced Central Arkansas turns back UTSA 72-64Feb 11, 2010 - 3:41 AM CONWAY, Ark.(AP) -- Jared Rehmel scored 16 points to lead four Central Arkansas players in double figures in a 72-64 victory over UTSA on Wednesday night.
Dewan Clayborn scored 14, Tadre Sheppard 13 and Chris Poellnitz 10 for the Bears (8-16, 2-8 Southland), who shot 54.0 percent (27 of 50) and broke a five-game losing streak.
Devin Gibson scored 20 points for the Roadrunners (13-9, 3-6), who lost for the sixth time in seven games. Demarco Stepter added 14.
Gibson became the 13th player in UTSA history to surpass 1,000 points with his third 20-point outing of the season.
The Roadrunners led 29-28 at intermission and 36-34 early in the second half before Clayborn nailed consecutive 3-pointers and Sheppard dunked the ball for a 42-36 Central Arkansas edge with 16:31 to go.
The Bears led the rest of the way, with the lead peaking at 12 points.
Central Arkansas outrebounded UTSA 34-22.
- Oklahoma assistant Steve Henson hired as UTSA head coach Apr 1
- Texas-San Antonio fires basketball coach Brooks Thompson Mar 10
- Elmore scores 23 with 7 treys as Marshall beats UTSA 109-91 Feb 6
- Loyola of Chicago pulls away from UTSA in 76-64 win Nov 14
- No. 21 Nebraska takes care of Central Arkansas Nov 19
- Bears hope to claw way past 21st-ranked Cornhuskers Nov 18
- UTSA extends Thompson through 2016-17 Jul 26
- No. 24 Cowboys set sights on Bears Dec 16
- UNLV drops 124 on overmatched Central Arkansas Dec 29
- Central Arkansas seeks upset of No. 19 UNLV Dec 28
- Ohio State cruises in NCAA tourney opener Mar 18
- Johnson scores 29, leads UTSA to 1st NCAA tourney win Mar 16