VMI defeats Gardner-Webb 92-85Feb 12, 2010 - 3:08 AM BOILING SPRINGS, N.C.(AP) -- Austin Kenon scored 29 points, and Stan Okoye added 26 points and 11 rebounds as Virginia Military Institute held off Gardner-Webb 92-85 on Thursday night.
It was Okoye's seventh double-double in the past 10 games.
Okoye has scored at least 20 points in seven of the past 10 games for the Keydets (8-15, 4-10 Big South Conference), who forged a tie with the Bulldogs for the final berth in the eight-team conference tournament.
Leading 52-45 with 15:26 to play, the Keydets went on a 13-2 run to take their largest lead of the game at 65-47 with 11:59 to play after a free throw by Okoye. The Bulldogs would get no closer than nine until Anton Silver hit a 3-pointer with 29 seconds remaining to cut the gap to 88-80.
Okoye made 10 of 15 field goal attempts and had four of the Keydets six blocks.
Silver led the Bulldogs (7-17, 4-10) with 21 points.
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- VMI introduces Earl as new men's hoops coach Apr 13
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- Arizona runs away from Gardner-Webb in second half Dec 2
- Bulldogs hit road seeking upset of third-ranked Wildcats Dec 2
- No. 21 West Virginia routs VMI Nov 27
- Mountaineers continue run against Keydets Nov 26
- Duke takes care of Gardner-Webb Dec 16
- Runnin' Bulldogs seek upset of mighty Blue Devils Dec 16
- Gardner-Webb moves on with rout of Campbell Mar 7
- No. 11 North Carolina handles Gardner-Webb Nov 9
- New-look Tar Heels tip off season against Runnin' Bulldogs Nov 9