Gentry closes out 79-74 victory for South DakotaFeb 12, 2010 - 4:30 AM VERMILLION, S.D.(AP) -- Roman Gentry scored the final 11 points for South Dakota on Thursday as the Coyotes pulled away for a 79-74 victory over Chicago State.
Gentry hit two free throws with 1:27 remaining to put South Dakota ahead 70-69, then hit a jumper and seven more free throws (in eight attempts) to secure the victory.
Gentry finished with 18 points and six assists for the Coyotes (14-9, 5-1), who won their fifth straight game. Kendall Cutler added 16 points and Jake Thomas and Tyler Cain each had 15. Cain also had five blocks.
Christian Wall led Chicago State (7-19, 2-6) with 20 points.
South Dakota had more turnovers (19 to 15) and fewer rebounds (32 to 43) than the Cougars, but made up for it by shooting 51 percent (24 for 47) from the field and going to the free-throw line 31 times, converting 23. Chicago State was 12 of 19 from the line.
- NCAA BB
CHICAGO ST 74
SOUTH DAKOTA 79 FINAL
Feb 11 11:05 PM
- NCAA BB
CHICAGO ST 36
SOUTH DAKOTA 38 HALFTIME
Feb 11 9:57 PM
- IPFW beats South Dakota 86-70 in Summit League quarterfinal Mar 5
- South Dakota takes down Florida Gulf Coast 89-81 in OT Dec 28
- Chicago State pulls away from Trinity International, 81-69 Nov 21
- South Dakota names James interim coach Sep 7
- South Dakota's Tecker to miss senior season Apr 16
- Chicago State victorious in Great West Conference championship Mar 17
- Huskies, Cougars set for Great West title clash Mar 16
- No. 25 KSU turns it on late, beats South Dakota Dec 31
- South Dakota comes calling on Kansas State Dec 31
- No. 10 Ohio State rolls past Chicago State Dec 29
- Chicago State comes calling on No. 10 Ohio State Dec 29
- No. 19 Gonzaga thumps South Dakota Nov 18