Niagara beats Siena 87-74Feb 13, 2010 - 3:32 AM LEWISTON, N.Y.(AP) -- Tyrone Lewis had 24 points and the Niagara Purple Eagles snapped the Siena Saints' 15-game winning streak with a convincing 87-74 win on Friday night.
The Saints came in with the longest winning streak in the nation, but were stung by a tenacious Purple Eagles defense that forced 16 turnovers and had nine steals.
Kashief Edwards added a career-high 20 points, and Bilal Benn finished with 15 for Niagara (14-13, 7-8 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), which lost to Siena in the MAAC championship game last March.
Down by one point with 15 minutes left in the second half, the Purple Eagles pulled away with a 21-3 run that was capped by Demetrius Williamson's 3 with 9:54 to go that made it 70-53.
Ryan Rossiter had 23 points and 12 rebounds for the Saints (21-5, 14-1), who beat Niagara by 15 points last month. Edwin Ubiles added 12 points.
- Niagara edges Marist 69-66 Jan 28
- Siena's Ogunyemi won't have to sit out after transfers Oct 30
- Siena extends Patsos' contract Jun 18
- Siena downs Fresno State in CBI final Apr 5
- Bulldogs and Saints meet in CBI rubber match Apr 5
- Fresno State routs Siena, ties CBI Apr 2
- Siena seeks CBI crown in showdown with Fresno State Apr 2
- Saints and Bulldogs square off in CBI title series Mar 31
- Memphis rolls to win over Siena Nov 29
- Siena faces tall task in clash with No. 21 Memphis Nov 28
- Niagara names Casey new men's hoops coach Apr 22
- Siena hires Patsos as new head coach Apr 3