Coles, Turner lead Canisius past Marist 71-56Feb 13, 2010 - 3:33 AM BUFFALO, N.Y.(AP) -- Julius Coles scored 18 points and Frank Turner had a double-double to lead Canisius to a 71-56 win over Marist on Friday night.
Turner finished with 16 points, 10 rebounds and seven rebounds for the Golden Griffins (12-14, 7-8 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference). Tomas Vazquez-Simmons also had a double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
Greg Logins scored 16 points for Canisius, which jumped out to a 17-2 lead in the first half after Turner's tip-in. The Red Foxes (1-24, 1-14) cut the Golden Griffins' margin to six at halftime.
But Marist would no closer as Canisius pulled away in the second half, pushing their lead to 20 points on Logins' 3-pointer with 10:06 left. The Golden Griffins took a 64-39 lead - their largest of the game - on a three-point play by Turner.
Candon Rusin led Marist with 17 points, Korey Bauer had 14 and Devin Price added 12.
- Canisius coach Baron retires after 29-year career May 20
- Marist hires Maker to replace Bower Jun 17
- Marist names Bower men's basketball coach Apr 11
- Bennett lifts UNLV over Canisius Dec 23
- Canisius heads to Sin City to take on No. 21 UNLV Dec 22
- No. 4 Syracuse routs Canisius Dec 15
- Fourth-ranked Syracuse hosts Canisius in Gotham Classic Dec 15
- Canisius hires Jim Baron Apr 2
- Former Canisius basketball coach Curran dies Jan 30
- No. 2 Kentucky hosts Marist is 2011-12 lidlifter Nov 11
- Wayns leads Villanova in rout of Marist Nov 16
- Syracuse continues domination of Canisius with easy win Nov 15