Johnson's 22 help Montana top Portland State 81-76Feb 13, 2010 - 5:23 AM PORTLAND, Ore.(AP) -- Anthony Johnson scored 22 points to lead Montana to an 81-76 win over Portland State on Friday night.
Ryan Staudacher added 18 points for the Grizzlies (18-7, 9-4 Big Sky), while Will Cherry had 13 and Brian Qvale 11.
Jamie Jones led Portland State (10-14, 5-6) with 26 points and 12 rebounds. Melvin Jones added 14 points, Julius Thomas 13 and Dominic Waters 12.
Montana jumped ahead early and led 11-2 after Staudacher hit a 3-pointer with 14:54 left in the first half.
The Grizzlies, who never trailed, led by as many as 15 points in the second half before Portland State came to life. A late 13-3 run closed the gap to 70-67 with 4:07 remaining, but Montana held on down the stretch to sweep the season series.
Montana shot 49.1 percent (26 of 53) and Portland State 48.1 percent (26 of 54).
- Harvey, Eastern Washington rally past Montana for Big Sky crown Mar 14
- Grizzlies, Eagles engage in Big Sky title bout Mar 14
- Montana tabs DeCuire to replace Tinkle May 31
- Montana dismisses Coleman Jun 7
- Syracuse advances in rout of Montana Mar 22
- Orange set sights on Grizzlies in East Regional tilt Mar 20
- Montana repeats as Big Sky champions Mar 17
- Weber State takes on Montana in Big Sky title game Mar 16
- Oklahoma State handles Portland State Nov 25
- Vikings hope to navigate past 20th-ranked Cowboys Nov 25
- Montana gives Tinkle, Selvig extensions May 25
- Balanced attack leads Wisconsin in rout of Montana Mar 15