UTSA shuts down Haynes in 63-61 victoryFeb 14, 2010 - 3:41 AM SAN ANTONIO(AP) -- UTSA went on a 10-0 run shortly after halftime and put the clamps on Texas-Arlington's Marquez Haynes en route to a 63-61 victory on Saturday.
The Roadrunners (14-9, 4-6 Southland) held the nation's second-leading scorer, who burned them for 38 points in a win on Jan. 16, to his second-lowest total of the year with 13 points. Haynes, who came into the game averaging 24.1 points per game, was just 3 of 11 from the field.
Devin Gibson had 12 points and five steals for UTSA, while Omar Johnson and Terry Fields added 11 points each.
Cameron Catlett added 12 points and LaMarcus Reed 11 for Arlington (13-10, 5-5), which had its five-game winning streak snapped.
UTSA led by as many as 16 in the second half before the Mavericks used an 18-4 run to pull within 60-58 with 1:17 left. But Fields hit two free throws and Gibson one for UTSA to counteract Reed's 3-pointer with 2 seconds on the clock.
- Oklahoma assistant Steve Henson hired as UTSA head coach Apr 1
- Texas-San Antonio fires basketball coach Brooks Thompson Mar 10
- Elmore scores 23 with 7 treys as Marshall beats UTSA 109-91 Feb 6
- Loyola of Chicago pulls away from UTSA in 76-64 win Nov 14
- Longhorns fend off Texas-Arlington Dec 3
- Mavericks face tall task in meeting with Longhorns Dec 2
- No. 1 Kentucky routs UT-Arlington 92-44 Nov 26
- Mavericks face uphill climb in clash with top-ranked Wildcats Nov 25
- Young, Kentucky top UTA Nov 19
- Mavericks face uphill climb in clash with fourth-ranked Wildcats Nov 19
- UTSA extends Thompson through 2016-17 Jul 26
- New Mexico State wins WAC Mar 17