Monteiro gets 19, Duquesne upsets Charlotte 83-77Feb 18, 2010 - 2:34 AM By MIKE CRANSTON AP Sports Writer
CHARLOTTE, N.C.(AP) -- B.J. Monteiro scored 19 points, Bill Clark added 18 and Duquesne dominated the second half to beat Charlotte 83-77 on Wednesday night to shake up the top of the Atlantic 10.
Entering the night as one of four teams tied in the loss column atop the conference, Charlotte (18-7, 8-3) squandered a 10-point lead early in the second half in its second straight loss.
The Dukes (14-12, 5-7) used a trapping defense to force numerous turnovers in a game-changing 22-4 run that put Duquesne ahead 62-54 with 9:30 left. Duquesne held on for its third road win in 11 tries.
Shamari Spears had 20 points and 12 rebounds for the 49ers.
Trailing 79-74, Charlotte forced a turnover and Ian Andersen hit a 3-pointer with 25.9 seconds left. But Duquesne's Jason Duty then hit two free throws and DiJuan Harris and Andersen missed shots on the ensuing possession to end Charlotte's hopes.
- CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law Apr 29
- Price experiencing growing pains in 1st year with Charlotte Dec 24
- Duquesne overcomes poor shooting to beat Robert Morris 72-65 Dec 19
- Ferry gets extension at Duquesne Jun 30
- Mark Price named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 26
- Reports: Price to be named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 25
- Major won't return as Charlotte coach Mar 15
- VCU holds on to down Duquesne Jan 18
- Dukes seek upset of 17th-ranked Rams Jan 17
- Hurricanes hit 14 3s, hold off Charlotte Nov 26
- Charlotte and Miami do it again Nov 25
- Duquesne stuns Saint Louis Feb 28