Georgia Southern defeats Samford 83-77Feb 23, 2010 - 4:41 AM BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(AP) -- Antonio Hanson finished with a career-high 27 points to lead Georgia Southern to an 83-77 defeat of Samford on Monday night.
Hanson also nailed a career-high seven 3-pointers for the Eagles (8-21, 5-11 Southern Conference). Willie Powers added a double-double for Georgia Southern with 12 points and a career-high 11 assists, while Rory Spencer recorded four blocks to claim Georgia Southern's single-season blocks record with 61.
Samford outscored the Eagles 36-14 in the paint, but Georgia Southern shot 15-for-28 from 3-point range (52.7 percent). Hanson shot 7-for-14 from beyond the arc.
Jeffrey Merritt scored 18 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead Samford (11-17, 5-11), and Bryan Friday added 15 points.
The Eagles picked up their first road win all season, with their last road victory coming on Jan. 15, 2009.
- Georgia State makes NCAAs for 1st time since 2001 Mar 15
- Georgia pride and Sun Belt title up for grabs Mar 15
- Samford coach Padgett signs 4-year extension Mar 6
- Samford tabs Padgett new head coach Jun 6
- Georgia Southern tabs Byington as men's basketball coach Apr 1
- Georgia Southern dismisses Young after 4 seasons Mar 12
- Thomas, Memphis fend off Samford Nov 18
- Samford takes on No. 17 Memphis Nov 17
- No. 2 Louisville feasts on Samford Nov 15
- No. 2 Cardinals set sights on Bulldogs Nov 15
- No. 3 Kentucky handles Samford Dec 20
- Kentucky puts win streak on the line against Samford Dec 20