Appalachian State holds off Chattanooga 80-74Feb 26, 2010 - 3:17 AM BOONE, N.C.(AP) -- Donald Sims scored 22 points and Kellen Brand added 18 as Appalachian State held off Chattanooga 80-74 on Thursday night.
The Mountaineers (19-11, 12-5 Southern Conference) never trailed and led by as many as 11 in the first half en route to a 35-29 halftime advantage. Appalachian State increased the lead to 13 with 11:46 left, but the Mocs (14-16, 6-11) pulled within a point at 65-64 with 4:28 to go on a Ty Patterson layup.
Josh Hunter made a three-point play, then Ricky Taylor, who led Chattanooga with 22 points, hit a jumper to make the score 68-66. After Sims knocked down a 3-pointer, Taylor scored again. Sims hit another 3 with 2:17 to go and the Mocs could get no closer than five the rest of the way.
Isaac Butts had eight points, 13 rebounds and four blocked shots for the Mountaineers, who have won three straight and seven of their last eight.
- Chattanooga selects McCall as new men's hoops coach Apr 12
- Wade leaves Chattanooga to return to VCU Apr 7
- No. 3 Wisconsin trounces Chattanooga Nov 16
- No. 3 Wisconsin entertains Chattanooga Nov 16
- Chattanooga extends Foster through 2018-19 Jun 5
- Fox named Appalachian State hoops coach Apr 8
- Appalachian State fires Capel Mar 10
- Adams leads UCLA past Chattanooga Nov 25
- Mocs seek upset of 22nd-ranked Bruins Nov 24
- Chattanooga selects Wade as new men's hoops coach May 13
- Chattanooga tabs Foster as next women's basketball coach May 9
- Chattanooga fires Shulman Mar 21