Appalachian State defeats Samford 82-68Feb 27, 2010 - 10:47 PM BOONE, N.C.(AP) -- Donald Sims scored 25 points, with six 3-pointers, and Appalachian State beat Samford 82-68 on Saturday in both teams' regular-season finale.
Kellen Brand added 18 points and Jeremi Booth had 15 for the Mountaineers (20-11, 13-5 Southern Conference), who have won four in a row and eight of nine.
The Mountaineers enter the conference tournament in Charlotte, N.C., as the No. 1 North seed and play March 6 after a first-round bye.
Appalachian State never trailed and led by 10 after a layup by Brand with 4:34 left. The lead remained in double figures the rest of the way.
Both teams shot well, with the Mountaineers making 56.9 percent of their field goal attempts (29 for 51) and the Bulldogs hit 55.8 percent (24 of 43).
Josh Davis scored 15 points, Kaylin Johnson had 11 and Jeffrey Merritt added 10 for the Bulldogs (11-19, 5-13), who have lost three straight.
- Samford coach Padgett signs 4-year extension Mar 6
- Samford tabs Padgett new head coach Jun 6
- Fox named Appalachian State hoops coach Apr 8
- Appalachian State fires Capel Mar 10
- Missouri handles Appalachian State Dec 2
- Mountaineers face uphill climb in clash with 16th-ranked Tigers Dec 1
- Thomas, Memphis fend off Samford Nov 18
- Samford takes on No. 17 Memphis Nov 17
- No. 2 Louisville feasts on Samford Nov 15
- No. 2 Cardinals set sights on Bulldogs Nov 15
- No. 3 Kentucky handles Samford Dec 20
- Kentucky puts win streak on the line against Samford Dec 20