Cain, South Dakota turn back Chicago State 77-73Feb 28, 2010 - 2:14 AM CHICAGO(AP) -- Tyler Cain's double-double helped South Dakota defeat Chicago State 77-73 on Saturday.
Cain had 19 points and 13 rebounds for the Coyotes (17-9, 8-1 Great West Conference), who won their eighth in a row. Cain became the second player in South Dakota history with more than 1,000 rebounds. He has 1,013.
Roman Gentry scored a team-high 20 points, with Mitchell Bouie adding 16 and Jake Thomas 14.
Christian Wall led the Cougars (8-21, 3-8) with 20 points. Carl Montgomery added 17, Antonio Lofton 15 and Kabangu Kasamba 11.
The Coyotes led by double digits in the second half, but the Cougars clawed within 75-73 with 41 seconds left after a 10-1 run.
South Dakota ran the clock down to 5 seconds, then missed a shot. But Cain grabbed the offensive rebound, and Thomas hit two free throws to seal it.
- IPFW beats South Dakota 86-70 in Summit League quarterfinal Mar 5
- South Dakota takes down Florida Gulf Coast 89-81 in OT Dec 28
- Chicago State pulls away from Trinity International, 81-69 Nov 21
- South Dakota names James interim coach Sep 7
- South Dakota's Tecker to miss senior season Apr 16
- Chicago State victorious in Great West Conference championship Mar 17
- Huskies, Cougars set for Great West title clash Mar 16
- No. 25 KSU turns it on late, beats South Dakota Dec 31
- South Dakota comes calling on Kansas State Dec 31
- No. 10 Ohio State rolls past Chicago State Dec 29
- Chicago State comes calling on No. 10 Ohio State Dec 29
- No. 19 Gonzaga thumps South Dakota Nov 18