Western Carolina defeats Chattanooga 78-70Feb 27, 2010 - 11:39 PM CULLOWHEE, N.C.(AP) -- Jake Robinson scored all 18 of his points in the second half and Keaton Cole scored 15 of his 16 in the first half as Western Carolina defeated Chattanooga 78-70 on Saturday in the teams' regular-season finale.
The Catamounts (21-10, 11-7 Southern Conference) have a bye into the conference tournament quarterfinals on March 6, while the Mocs (14-17, 6-12) will play a first-round game March 5.
A 3-pointer by Cole capped a 15-0 run by Western Carolina to open the game, but Chattanooga closed to within 35-26 at halftime.
The Mocs trailed by just three, 50-47, after a layup by Keegan Bell with 11:31 remaining, but two free throws by Kendall Russell and a 3-pointer by Robinson restored an eight-point margin, 55-47.
Brigham Waginger added 15 points and four assists for the Catamounts.
Ricky Taylor scored 13 points to lead the Mocs, and Bell had 12 points.
- Chattanooga selects McCall as new men's hoops coach Apr 12
- Wade leaves Chattanooga to return to VCU Apr 7
- No. 3 Wisconsin trounces Chattanooga Nov 16
- No. 3 Wisconsin entertains Chattanooga Nov 16
- Western Carolina extends Hunter's contract Jun 6
- Chattanooga extends Foster through 2018-19 Jun 5
- Wofford holds off Western Carolina for SoCon crown Mar 11
- Catamounts and Terriers meet for SoCon crown Mar 10
- Adams leads UCLA past Chattanooga Nov 25
- Mocs seek upset of 22nd-ranked Bruins Nov 24
- Young leads Oregon past Western Carolina Nov 14
- Chattanooga selects Wade as new men's hoops coach May 13