Nicholls State beats Lamar 73-61, clinches berthMar 6, 2010 - 11:44 PM THIBODAUX, La.(AP) -- Anatoly Bose scored 22 points to help Nicholls State defeat Lamar 73-61 on Saturday and clinch the eighth and final berth in the Southland Conference tournament.
The Colonels (11-18, 7-9) will face top seed Sam Houston State in the first round Wednesday in Katy, Texas.
Lamar (14-18, 5-11) ended the season with its seventh consecutive loss.
Nicholls State trailed 23-22 at halftime but outscored the Cardinals 12-2 in the opening 4:49 of the second half.
Lamar got back within two, 51-49, at the 7-minute mark, but the Colonels regained control down the stretch, taking a 65-56 lead when Bose hit a 3-pointer with a hand in his face with 1:24 left.
Fred Hunter scored 17 points and Chris Iles had 13 points and five assists for the Colonels.
Justin Nabors scored 14 points and Kendrick Harris added 13 to lead Lamar.
- Wisconsin crushes Nicholls Dec 13
- Colonels face tall task in clash with fifth-ranked Badgers Dec 13
- No. 20 Iowa State pulls away to rout Lamar Dec 2
- Cyclones seek redemption in clash with Cardinals Dec 2
- No. 19 Michigan eases past Nicholls Nov 30
- Wolverines seek redemption in clash with visiting Colonels Nov 29
- No. 22 SMU routs Lamar in opener Nov 15
- 22nd-ranked Mustangs begin season against Cardinals Nov 14
- Lamar axes Pat Knight Feb 16
- Memphis dominates Nicholls State Nov 23
- Colonels face uphill climb in clash with 11th-ranked Tigers Nov 23
- Appling, Michigan State rout Nicholls State Dec 1