Delaney, Virginia Tech beat Georgia Tech 88-82Mar 7, 2010 - 12:04 AM By GEORGE HENRY Associated Press Writer
ATLANTA(AP) -- Malcolm Delaney tied a season high with 32 points and Jeff Allen had 17 points with 10 rebounds to help Virginia Tech win its second straight game with an 88-82 victory over Georgia Tech on Saturday.
The Hokies (23-7, 10-6 Atlantic Coast Conference) are assured of a first-round bye in the league tournament next week in Greensboro, N.C. They stayed in a tie for fourth with Florida State.
Georgia Tech (19-11, 7-9) has lost two straight and five of seven to put itself in danger of missing the NCAA tournament for the sixth time in 10 seasons under coach Paul Hewitt.
A foot injury to Virginia Tech guard Dorenzo Hudson kept the Hokies' second-leading scorer on the bench in street clothes as he missed his first game in three seasons.
Gani Lawal and Derrick Favors scored 18 apiece as the Yellow Jackets finished below .500 in the ACC regular season for the sixth straight year.
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 88
GEORGIA TECH 82 FINAL
Mar 6 6:13 PM
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 45
GEORGIA TECH 39 HALFTIME
Mar 6 4:50 PM
- Georgia Tech hires Pastner from Memphis to replace Gregory Apr 9
- Virginia Tech grants sophomore guard Jalen Hudson release Apr 6
- Bobinski looking for coach to revitalize Georgia Tech hoops Mar 28
- Georgia Tech fires men's basketball coach Brian Gregory Mar 25
- Georgia Tech's Georges-Hunt 'thankful' for spot in NIT Mar 14
- ACC Tournament could decide Gregory's future at Georgia Tech Mar 8
- Georges-Hunt's faith finally paying off for Georgia Tech Feb 24
- Georgia Tech is 1 of college basketball's biggest mysteries Jan 26
- No. 2 North Carolina's game at Virginia Tech moved to 3 p.m. Jan 23
- Georgia Tech finally shows it can win a close ACC game Jan 11
- Virginia Tech Hokies deeper in Buzz Williams 2nd season Oct 26
- Virginia Tech Preview Capsule Oct 26