South Dakota defeats Houston Baptist 97-84Mar 7, 2010 - 4:29 AM VERMILLION, S.D.(AP) -- Louie Krogman scored a career-high 31 points and Roman Gentry added 24 to lead South Dakota to a 97-84 victory over Houston Baptist Saturday night.
Steve Smith added 17 points and Jake Thomas 11 for the Coyotes.
The win gives South Dakota (19-9, 10-1) the regular-season championship in the Great West Conference. The Coyotes face NJIT on Sunday at home in a makeup game to complete their regular season.
Andrew Gonzalez had 32 points and 16 rebounds for Houston Baptist (10-20, 9-3). Mario Flaherty had 15 points and 19 rebounds for the Huskies, who owned a 49-30 edge in rebounds.
But the Coyotes made up for that deficit by making 16 of their 27 3-point attempts, or 59 percent. Krogman was 6-for-8 and Gentry 5-for-8 from behind the arc. South Dakota also scored 29 points off 19 Houston Baptist turnovers.
- NCAA BB
HOUSTON BAPTIST 84
SOUTH DAKOTA 97 FINAL
Mar 6 11:08 PM
- NCAA BB
HOUSTON BAPTIST 36
SOUTH DAKOTA 45 HALFTIME
Mar 6 10:03 PM
- IPFW beats South Dakota 86-70 in Summit League quarterfinal Mar 5
- South Dakota takes down Florida Gulf Coast 89-81 in OT Dec 28
- Houston Baptist tops NCCAA Crowley's Ridge 102-62 Nov 16
- Michigan buries Houston Baptist Dec 7
- Huskies come calling on 22nd-ranked Wolverines Dec 7
- South Dakota names James interim coach Sep 7
- South Dakota's Tecker to miss senior season Apr 16
- Chicago State victorious in Great West Conference championship Mar 17
- Huskies, Cougars set for Great West title clash Mar 16
- No. 25 KSU turns it on late, beats South Dakota Dec 31
- South Dakota comes calling on Kansas State Dec 31
- No. 19 Gonzaga thumps South Dakota Nov 18