Stony Brook defeats UMBC 81-69Jan 19, 2010 - 12:42 AM STONY BROOK, N.Y.(AP) -- Brian Dougher scored 23 points and Stony Brook defeated Maryland-Baltimore County 81-69 on Monday night.
The Seawolves (12-7, 4-2 America East Conference) outrebounded the Terriers (1-17, 0-5) 50-24 with Dallis Joyner grabbing 12 and Tommy Brenton 11 for Stony Brook.
The Seawolves scored 40 points in the paint and 15 second-chance points.
UMBC was 2-for-7 from the field and had four turnovers early as Stony Brook took a 22-7 lead on Brenton's free throws with 11:56 left in the first half.
The Retrievers pulled within 50-45 with 15:57 remaining on Adrian Satchell's layup, but Stony Brook scored seven straight to pull away. Dougher's layup gave the Seawolves a 57-45 lead with 13:10 remaining.
Muhammad El-Amin added 20 points, Brenton 14 and Chris Martin 12 for Stony Brook.
Chauncey Gilliam had 24 points for the Retrievers and Shawn Grant added 11.
- NCAA BB
STONY BROOK 81 FINAL
Jan 18 7:08 PM
- NCAA BB
STONY BROOK 44 HALFTIME
Jan 18 5:59 PM
- Stony Brook hires Ohio State's Boals as basketball coach Apr 9
- Kentucky routs Stony Brook 85-57, gets Indiana next Mar 18
- No. 4 seed Kentucky opens NCAA Tournament vs. Stony Brook Mar 17
- At Stony Brook, team and fan help each other cope with loss Mar 16
- Stony Brook with 91-42 win over Div. III Farmingdale State Nov 28
- Albany stuns Stony Brook to win third straight AEC crown Mar 14
- Stony Brook and Albany meet for AEC title Mar 14
- Stony Brook stuns No. 13 Washington Dec 28
- Seawolves head to land of Seahawks to test Huskies Dec 28
- Albany tops Stony Brook to repeat as America East champ Mar 15
- Albany and Stony Brook meet for America East crown Mar 15
- Stony Brook extends Pikiell Jun 27